Membrane-based water treatment systems are increasingly used globally to treat a wide variety of source waters. Brackish water is no exception. Producing high quality drinking water at a very competitive price makes membrane-based reverse osmosis (RO) the technology of choice in the treatment of brackish water.
Brackish water refers to both sources of groundwater and surface water. Each source presents different challenges for the production of high quality water.
The treatment of groundwater is usually preferred due to more consistent water qualities, however plant designs must address key criteria that includes the types of dissolved metals and anions in the groundwater, the reactivity of species, the membrane fouling potential (from hard water and colloidal scaling) and the amount of salinity and fine matter in the water.
Surface waters are more highly variable in water quality. In addition to dissolved metals and anions, the fouling potential of species, the variations in water temperature, pH, turbidity, organic carbon and microbiological species all present additional challenges to the design of a successful membrane-based treatment regime.
Septech’s design engineers work in close consultation with clients to develop tailored reverse osmosis (RO) based solutions that address the many challenges in surface and groundwater treatment.
Advantages of Brackish Water Treatment
- Drawing on our extensive history in the design and development of successful treatment regimes for a diverse range of brackish water types, Septech offers site specific solutions to maintain long-term plant performance, at optimum efficiencies.
- Regardless of plant size, Septech’s price to performance ratio turns any reverse osmosis project into a viable solution.
- As a single-source supplier, we can rapidly deploy and install the complete brackish water treatment solution, including pre and post-treatment systems.
- Our outstanding expertise in installation, maintenance and site-support services guarantees that each plant continues to deliver the highest standards of operational performance.
- In order to cater for your individual requirements, Septech offers a wide range of procurement options including rentals, DBOO, DBOOM and DBOOT.
As membrane technologies have grown in acceptance, the costs of membranes have declined and also plant energy efficiencies have increased. This has resulted in reduced costs to purchase and also to operate BWRO technologies.
The depth of experience in the treatment of brackish water has resulted in greater reliability in the treatment processes and the capability to now treat a wider variety of feed water qualities.
Through creative designs, plants sizes have been reduced, pressure requirements reduced and energy recovery systems included in plant designs to improve operational efficiencies.
Provided the requisite analytical information is known for the feed water, BWRO technologies can be purpose designed to maintain a high level of performance at a high level of operational reliability.